Chances are if you are over the age of 21 you’ve gone through a breakup or two. No one wants to go through a bad breakup but there are several things that you can learn when you’re going through a breakup:
1. Nothing’s wrong with being single. For men being single is like paradise. But for women, being single can feel like torture. For some twisted reason, women get labeled as old maids or crazy/psycho if they don’t have a man or go for long periods of time without dating. Being single can actually be a great thing in your life; you have more time to focus on you, more money in your pocket, and no worries about why your S.O. hasn’t returned your phone call. Use your single time to be productive vessel and channel your creative energies.
2. You deserve better. There are situations when breakups lead to makeups but more often than not when the relationship ends, it’s for the best. You may have been so blinded by the toxic situation that you were in, that you didn’t realize things were better for you outside the relationship.
3. Breakups afford you the time to really find yourself and figure out what it is that you want out of life. Sometimes when you’ve been in a relationship for a long time, you lose yourself. You morph into this person you think your S.O. wants you to be…once the relationship has ended, you can really get in tune with yourself.
4. You get to play the field. You can give your number out like candy to several people in one night and date different people, without the worry of commitment. If you’re in a place in your life where you aren’t ready for anything serious, the single life is definitely a great time to explore your options, have fun, but not be weighed down by the ball and chain that commitment and relationships sometimes bring. Embrace your newfound singledom!
5. Breakups allow you to rekindle the greatest love of all; love of oneself. When you’re in a relationship sometimes you don’t get to have “me time”…you’re ALWAYS with your S.O. and every decision you make is subject to groupthink. You don’t even get a spare moment to get lost in your thoughts. A break up allows you to reconnect with your inner self and do the things that you love to do. Sometimes, all you want to do is come home, eat a pint of ice cream, walk around pant-less and watch TV. Breakups are a great opportunity to spark your self-love and self-discovery journey.
Although breakups can be very trying, we learn the most about ourselves when we’re alone and have post-breakup time to reflect. After a breakup, it may seem like all hope is lost and that you’ll never fall in love or find love again. They say it’s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all…but sometimes the burn of the loss is too painful to bear. Trust me when I say time heals all wounds and eventually the pain will subside. Even though it may seem like you’ve lost a huge part of life and even wasted years of your time just remember: God always removes people from our lives for a good reason; think before chasing after them.